National Cued Speech Association

Legal Resources

Special Education Legal Resources

If you need information about parent / student legal rights and procedures, here are some recommended resources:
  1. Law and Advocacy Center(LAC), based at the National Assoc of the Deaf,
    301-587-7730. E-mail can be sent to [email protected] or [email protected]
  2. National Information Center for Children & Youth with Disabilities
    PO Box 1492, Washington DC 20013-1492; 1-800-695-0285
    E-mail: [email protected]
    URL: »

    They will send you their publications catalog by mail or you can access it at their web site. Some things are free; some have a very nominal charge (e.g. $4.00). They will also send you a free resource list for your state, including your senators, governor, state director of special ed, advocacy agencies, etc.

    Specific recommendations are: "The Education of Children & Youth with Special Needs: What Do the Laws Say?" ($4.00; catalog number ND15) and "Related Services for School-aged Children with Disabilities", ($4.00, #ND 16).
  3. Disability Law Center at the Community Legal Center
    205 North 400 West; Salt Lake City UT 84103
    800-662-9080 (v); 800-550-4182; fax 801-363-1437 »
  4. Families & Advocates Partnership for Education (FAPE) at PACER Center, 8161 Normandale Blvd, Bloomington MN 55437-1044;; 1-888-248-0822. Federally funded program "helping parents and advocates improve educational results for children with disabilities" by providing information and technical assistance regarding IDEA ‘97.
  5. You may also find effective help through local advocacy agencies/ organizations, such as your regional special education service center or a parent organization, even if its mission is not specifically related to hearing loss.
  6. Also check with the AG Bell Association's "Children's Rights Advocate" for the contact information for the advocate in your state. 866-337-5220 or 202-337-5221(tty).
    E-mail: [email protected]
  7. Books by Reed Martin J.D. (attorney at law):
    "Special Education Law in America - The Rights of the Student and
    the Responsibilitiesof Those Who Serve"

    "What Schools Forget to Tell Parents About Their Rights"

    To purchase Reed Martin’s books visit this Web site - »
  8. Get a copy of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), including the amendments of 2004 and the regulations. As of 11/30/04, most of the following only include the IDEA of 1997. Check out IDEA at ».

    Check out the Council for Exceptional Children website link directly below. This organization along with IDEA is funded by the federal government and developed by partnerships of parents, service providers, and administrators to make the IDEA and its regulations understandable and usable. Analyzes and explains each section here: »

    Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS), at the Department of Education; choose "The Law". For more information, visit here at »

    You can purchase copies through the Government Printing Office and its bookstores. Call 202-512-0000
  9. Siegel, Lawrence. The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child; 3rd edition 2004. Berkeley CA: NOLO Press, 2004. Written by an attorney who specializes in education of the deaf, this gives you the law, useful forms, letters, lists, contacts, index.
  10. Tucker, Bonnie. IDEA Advocacy for Children Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing: A Question and Answer Book for Parents and Professionals. San Diego: Singular Publishing Co, 1997; ISBN# 1-56593-986-8; approximately $16.95. The author is an oral deaf professor of law.
  11. But what about my deaf child? From the Pennsylvania Parent Education Network. A quote from the book: "Services should never be based on funding, staff available or on what services other children receive. Service providers must be qualified to work with your deaf or HOH child. Obviously, they must have the right degrees, certifications or licenses to work at In addition, they should be fluent in the language or mode of communication of your child." The phrase "interpreter or transliterator" appears several times throughout. Parents can get free individual copies. Charge of $3.00 plus $1.25 postage for schools or agencies. 800-522-5827 in Pennsylvania; 800-441-5028 (Spanish) or write Parent Ed Network,2107 Industrial Highway, York PA 17404.
  12. IDEA Special Factors Kit Developed by the Conference of Educational Administrators of Schools and Programs for the Deaf (CEASD) as a resource for school administrators. Relates to the provisions of IDEA that require the IEP to address the special language and communication needs of deaf and hard of hearing children. Available from the CEASD office; 904-810-5200; PO Box 1778, St. Augustine FL 32085-1778.
  13. Previous legal decisions:
    Go through your state’s and other states’ legal decisions to help develop a line of reasoning and find relevant federal decisions. Some states with online information are Minnesota and Texas.
  14. Other websites for IDEA and IEP information: » » »
    National Early Childhood Technical Assistance System - »

    Anyone who has additions, corrections, or comments about this list, please contact
    NCSA Information Services. We do want to give the best information which we can.
    Thanks for your help!

    Cued Speech Discovery

    National Cued Speech Assn Information Service / Bookstore
    23970 Hermitage Road; Cleveland OH 44122-4008
    1-800-459-3529; [email protected]
Adobe Logo - DownloadDownload Adobe Acrobat Reader »
(required to view PDFs)
  • Daily Cues - Figure out your cue notation!
  • Cue for You Transliterating Services - CLT Services
  • iBooks - Cued Speech
  • Help families in need for Cued Speech camps by donating to the Deaf Children's Literacy Project
  • Nuby, Inc - High Quality, Chemical Free Baby Products
  • Deaf Childrens Literacy Project champions literacy and phonetics for families of deaf and hard of hearing children
Clickable images to articles, sites.